How can I file my Internal Revenue Service 1040 tax return for free?

Author Name
Answered by: Kay, An Expert in the Filing Your Taxes Category
Many people are surprised to find that they can file their annual Internal Revenue Service 1040 tax return for free. If your gross adjusted income is $58,000. or less, you may qualify to use a free tax service provider to file your Internal Revenue Service 1040 tax return. All of the free tax providers include free electronic filing for your 1040 tax return, which means you get your refund faster. However, there can be other qualifications such as- military status, eligibility for the earned income credit and the state you live in. Many companies only offer free tax filing for your federal Internal Revenue Service 1040 tax return so you may have to pay to file your state taxes.

The Internal Revenue Service website lists all of the tax providers that offer free1040 tax filing. You can browse the list of free tax providers on the Internal Revenue Service website at You must pick your free tax provider from the Internal Revenue Service website to get the free credit. If you do not pick the tax provider from the IRS website first, you will have to pay to file your 1040 tax return.

Each free tax provider has a list of their own unique requirements so be sure to read the list thoroughly to find the best tax preparer for your situation. For example: H&R Block Free File offers free 1040 tax return filing for anyone with an adjusted gross income of $58,000. or less and age 51 or younger. Their offer is good for any state for U.S. citizens or resident aliens. ICANFREEFILE requires that your adjusted gross income be $31,000. or less and is also valid in all states. Be aware though that many of the free tax providers only offer the free service in certain states.

If you are having trouble choosing a free tax provider that meets your specific situation; go to the free file wizard on the Internal Revenue Service website at and fill in the blanks with your information. The free file wizard will generate a list of free tax providers for you based on the specific criteria you entered such as your age, military status, filing status and income.

If you have other questions about filing your IRS 1040 tax return, you can call the Internal Revenue Service for free by calling 800-829-1040. The Internal Revenue Service receives calls from Monday - Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. your local time. If you live in Alaska or Hawaii please use Pacific time.

If you prefer to meet face to face with an Internal Revenue Service representative, you can use the Taxpayers Assistance Center (TAC) locator at Just enter your zip code and the locator will supply you with a list of Taxpayers Assistance Centers close to where you live. Taxpayer Assistance Centers are closed on all federal holidays. You will be required to show an up to date photo identification and furnish your tax payer identification number such as your social security number.

Author Name Like My Writing? Hire Me to Write For You!

Related Questions